Hurricane Harvey – One Year Later
The view from my front porch at 6:57 AM, August 27, 2017
After the rain cleared, August 29, 2017
Over the course of the past year, we’ve been very busy helping those Houstonians who’s homes and businesses suffered the horrible wrath of Harvey. Of course, the aftermath of that rain-pounding leviathan is by no means over—according to a study conducted earlier this week by the Kaiser Foundation, 70% of the people affected by Harvey are reporting that their lives are already, or almost, back to normal, which leaves 30% of Harvey’s victims still wading through the loss and disruption. However, with the one-year anniversary upon us, perhaps there’s been enough time for us to gain a little objectivity and really take stock of not only the wild and scary storm, but also the incredible outpouring of community and kindness that followed in its wake.
Here’s a round-up of some valuable stories and memorials that are circulating around the internet:
- Hurricane Harvey rescuers who saved Dickinson residents in boats form bond in year since storm (abc13)
- 13 Investigates: How have charities spent Harvey recovery money? (abc13)
- A Look Back at Hurricane Harvey: One Year Since Landfall (The Atlantic)
- Hurricane Harvey survey: 30 percent say lives are still upended a year after storm hit Texas (Washington Post)
- Debt, loss and faith: How three families are faring a year after Hurricane Harvey (The Texas Tribune)
- The Rescue: Everyday heroes rescued thousands during Hurricane Harvey (KHOU)
- #KHOUStronger: Harvey destroyed our building, not our spirit (KHOU)
- After Harvey, Crowdsource Rescue reunites heroes with families they helped (KHOU)
- Voices from the Storm, a Year Later: Checking in with nine Harvey survivors a year after Texas Monthly first spoke to them. (Texas Monthly)
- Troubled Waters: A Year After Harvey, Has Houston Learned Anything? (Texas Monthly)
- The Houston Flood Museum – an online exhibit and archive dedicated to our collective memory of the events that unfolded late August 2017
- Hurricane Harvey: A Closer Look at Houston’s Biblical Floods (Houston Chronicle) — the journalists at the Chronicle have done an incredible job of compiling relevant information both in terms of documenting the storm’s impact and in listing helpful resources for moving forward.
- Harvey One Year Later: A Look at Where We Were, and Where We Go from Here (Houston Chronicle)
- Don’t Say it’s Over. A Year Later, Harvey Recovery Remains Uneven with Many Still Struggling (Houston Chronicle)
- First responders rushed in during Hurricane Harvey. Why won’t they save themselves? (Houston Chronicle)
- Lost in the Storm: Greater Houston thought it was prepared for a major hurricane like Harvey. But as the flooding overwhelmed the region’s emergency systems, families like the Daileys found out too late that they were on their own. (New York Times)
Harvey heads for Houston in the form of a crawfish–pinch, pinch!
For a heartwarming Harvey tale, here’s the first video of a 14-part saga of Harvey the Hurricane Hawk:
For those of you that suffered losses during the storm, we hope that you’re fully recovered–or at least on the way to recovery. If you need any help in the final stages of clean up, please give us a call! We’re happy to help!
Call (713) 645-4611 Today!
We're here to help. Call or email to tell us about your indoor air quality problems. We’ll help you find a solution. In most cases, we can even give an estimate over the phone.